Hunger Action Congregations
The Presbyterian Hunger Program, PC(USA) is celebrating the faithful work of Presbyterians responding to the biblical call to alleviate hunger and end its causes. We wish to acknowledge the work you are doing to end hunger, and to be mutually inspired to deepen and broaden our ministries.
Hunger Action Congregations Covenant:
As disciples of a loving God who inspires us to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God, we commit to faithful action to end hunger and address its root causes.
The purpose of the Hunger Action Congregation process is to acknowledge and celebrate the faithful work of Presbyterians happening around the country to alleviate hunger and end its causes, and to encourage these ministries to be even more holistic and justice-oriented.
Yours is a Hunger Action Congregation if you are doing an activity in one or more of six areas. For congregations that are doing one or more activity in all six areas, you can be a Certified Hunger Action Congregation. All of the Hunger Action Congregations will be celebrated on October 16, World Food Day.
- Hunger Alleviation: providing and/or sharing food in a dignified way with an eye to long-term structural solutions
- Development assistance: addressing the root causes of hunger and poverty through equitable and sustainable development
- Hunger Education: learning about systemic causes of hunger, leading towards faithful action that is informed and directed by directly affected people and partners
- Lifestyle Integrity: adopting sustainable personal and corporate lifestyles to restore justice and protect all of God’s creation
- Corporate and Public Policy Witness: advocating and campaigning for changes in policies and practices to end hunger and its causes, promote self-development, and care for creation
- Worship: incorporating prayer, education, and preaching about ending hunger and its causes into worship
- You will likely want a record of your application, so please download the Word version of the Covenant at http://bit.ly/HACyourcopy and fill it out. This will be your church’s copy of the Covenant.
- Then, you will be ready to cut-and-paste from your Word document into the form below, which is the official application that PHP receives.
Use your version of the covenant form and go online to fill out and submit the covenant at bit.ly/hungeractionform
- HAC Bulletin Insert – include your congregation’s information and use to assess interest within your church
- Word version of the HAC Covenant to discuss with other church members http://bit.ly/HACyourcopy
- To fill out and submit the Covenant, please go to: bit.ly/hungeractionform
All information is from the Presbyterian Hunger Program, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) WHEAT is the Hunger Action Advocate for the Presbytery of Grand Canyon, Arizona.
Join us in building more equitable and ecological food & farm systems!
Beyond examining our food choices, we must recognize the lingering racism embedded in our food system. This system was founded on slavery and plantation agriculture, and still exploits food chain workers and despoils the environment. We call for changes which bring us closer to food sovereignty, where producers have control over seeds, land and livelihood, and where all have the right to food.
The Global Food Week of Action includes World Food Day (Oct. 16), International Day for Rural Women (Oct. 15), and International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (Oct. 17).