Request for Proposals for Funding to Supplement Emergency Food and Shelter Programs in Maricopa County Is Announced
Phoenix, AZ, April 12, 2018 – The Local Board of the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) in Maricopa County is requesting proposals for funding to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in the county for Phase 35. The amount of funding expected for Phase 35 is $1,678,783.00. The selection of jurisdictions receiving any awards is made by a national board chaired by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and consists of representatives from American Red Cross, Catholic Charities, USA, The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, The Salvation Army, United Jewish Communities and United Way of America. Funding may be made available by a federal appropriation from Congress to the Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program.
The Local Maricopa County EFSP Board will distribute any funds that may be received through this program that will expand the capacity of food and shelter programs in Maricopa County. The local board, made up of local representatives of local government, American Red Cross, Catholic Charities, USA, The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, The Salvation Army, United Jewish Communities, the Native American Community, United Way of America, the Association of Arizona Food Banks and the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness will determine how the possible funds awarded to Maricopa County are to be distributed among the emergency food and shelter programs run by local service agencies in the area. The local board is responsible for recommending agencies to receive these funds and any additional funds available under this phase of the program. The WHEAT organization is acting as the administrative agency for the Local Maricopa County EFSP Board.
Local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
- be a 501 (c)(3) non-profit or a unit of government,
- have an accounting system,
- practice non-discrimination,
- have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
- and if they are a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization, have a voluntary board.
The Local Maricopa County EFSP Board will consider the awarding of funds to local organizations for the following purposes:
- Food, in the form of served meals or groceries (food boxes),
- Shelter, in the form of lodging in a mass shelter or rental assistance for first month’s rent or late rent.
Qualifying agencies are urged to apply. Individuals cannot apply for this funding.
- Agencies interested in applying for funding in Phase 35 must email WHEAT at wheat@HungerHurts.org for a Password and User ID to access the online application on or after Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
- Applications are submitted via an online system and will be available on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
- Applicants new to the process will need to attend an orientation on the funding and application process prior to applying.
- The deadline for applications to be received is Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 2:00 pm.
Questions concerning this process may be directed to WHEAT by email wheat@HungerHurts.org or by telephone at 602-955-5076.
WHEAT (www.HungerHurts.org) is a statewide anti-hunger organization staffing the Emergency Food and Shelter Program for Maricopa County.